The Anglican Parish of St.Agnes, Black Rock was established in 1895 when the parishes of Sandringham with Black Rock separated from Cheltenham. In 1898 the priest at the time decided that Black Rock should have a church of its own and a local landowner, George Hamilton Traill, purchased a block of land and donated part of it to the Church. Construction of a small weatherboard building commenced in 1899 and the church was dedicated in July of that year. Mr Traill donated two stained glass windows in memory of his wife – the Blessed Virgin Mary window and the St.Agnes window in the Sanctuary.
Mr Traill died in Rome in 1907 and the parish raised the money to install a window dedicated to his memory. This is the magnificent Simeon window in the Nave. (Photos of these windows can be seen in the Photo Gallery section).
In 1913 the little weatherboard church was destroyed in a bush fire – only the altar, pulpit, lectern and font were saved – the stained glass windows and the building were destroyed. A new brick building was built and dedicated in 1914. Fortunately the stained glass artist, W.H.Montgomery, was still alive and he was able to reproduce exactly the windows that had been lost.
The parish celebrated its 110th anniversary in 2009 and is still ministering to the local community.