WELCOME TO ST. AGNES ANGLICAN CHURCH, BLACK ROCK
(One hundred and eighteen years of Anglican worship and serving the community of Black Rock.)
Vicar : The Revd Philip Higgins - 9598 1264.
Asst. Curate : The Revd. Emily Payne - 0408 666 119
SEE CHURCH SERVICE PAGE FOR SERVICE TIMES
Please note that there are new photos from the Spring Fair and from the 'Joy of Christmas' production on the 'Special Events' page .
SATURDAY RECYCLE HAS GREAT BARGAINS
SEE SATURDAY RECYCLE PAGE FOR OPENING DATES FOR 2016
Prayer of the Week - First Sunday after Pentecost
you have taught us through your Son
that love is the fulfilling of the law :
grant that we may love you with our whole heart,
and our neighbours as ourselves;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen
History of St.Agnes Parish
The Anglican Parish of St.Agnes, Black Rock was established in 1895 when the parishes of Sandringham with Black Rock separated from Cheltenham. In 1898 the priest at the time decided that Black Rock should have a church of its own and a local landowner, George Hamilton Traill, purchased a block of land and donated part of it to the Church. Construction of a small weatherboard building commenced in 1899 and the church was dedicated in July of that year. Mr Traill donated two stained glass windows in memory of his wife - the Blessed Virgin Mary window and the St.Agnes window in the Sanctuary.
Mr Traill died in Rome in 1907 and the parish raised the money to install a window dedicated to his memory. This is the magnificent Simeon window in the Nave. (Photos of these windows can be seen in the Photo Gallery section).
In 1913 the little weatherboard church was destroyed in a bush fire - only the altar, pulpit, lectern and font were saved - the stained glass windows and the building were destroyed. A new brick building was built and dedicated in 1914. Fortunately the stained glass artist, W.H.Montgomery, was still alive and he was able to reproduce exactly the windows that had been lost.
The parish celebrated its 110th anniversary in 2009 and is still ministering to the locak community.
Details of services available, worship times and the various activities of the parish can be found on the following pages.
Black Rock Beaumaris Churches.
St. Agnes Anglican Church is one of the covenant of Combined Churches of Beaumarish and Black Rock.
Committed to working together to serve the communities of Beaumaris and Black Rock, the Covenant Churches comprise the Anglican parishes of St.Agnes, Black Rock and St.Michael and All Angels, Beaumaris ; the Uniting churches of St.Martins, Beaumaris and St.Andrews-by-the-Sea, Black Rock ; the Catholic parishes of Stella Maris, Beaumaris and St.Josephs, Black Rock and the Beaumaris Baptist Church.
links to the other parishes in the Covenant are provided below :-
The combined churches website - www.blackrockchurches.org.au
St.Martins Beaumaris - www.stmartinsbeaumaris.org.au
St Andrews-by-the-Sea, Black Rock - www.standrewsblackrock.org.au
Beaumaris Baptist - www.beaumarisbaptist.org.au
St.Michael & All Angels - www.beaumarisanglican.net
Stella Maris & St.Josephs - www.stmstj.com
Want to find more information on the Anglican Church and events in the Anglican Diocese of Melbourne - click on the link alongside to access the Melbourne Diocesan website.